The fifth annual, free event includes book signings with local children’s book authors, live storytelling, and other family activities.
The Children's Book Fair and Family Fun Day returns to the Bradenton Farmers’ Market, Saturday, April 6, 9am–2pm, on Old Main Street, between Manatee Ave W. and 3rd Ave W. in downtown Bradenton. The free event features sixteen local children’s book authors reading their books at the Imagination Station, vegetable plating in take-home pots, a scavenger hunt, painting with artists from the Village of the Arts, and more.
"The market is very family friendly, and the Children’s Book Fair and Family Fun Day only add to the excitement of it all," said Peg Haynes, the Bradenton Farmers’ Market manager. “Watching the children light up with joy as they participate in the many activities makes it all worthwhile. It is delightful to see these families return to the market in the following weeks to purchase fruits and veggies, and to enjoy the market.”
- Paint Your Favorite Veggie: Kids can choose their favorite fruit or vegetable from a display of produce available at the market and paint it on a large canvas with help from local artists from the Village of the Arts.
- Music Together: Join Halfsteps for short story-time singalongs, musical movement activities, and an instrument petting zoo, from noon to 2pm.
- Art Together: Stop by to design your very own nature observation journal to record all things you may see in nature or when watching your plants grow! Be sure to add a colored leaf through your fingerprint with paint to a tree that represents our community. Art Together is coordinated by students in the Elementary Education Program at
- Plant a Veggie: Children can plant summer vegetable seedlings in a colorful pot to take home and grow. Instructions are included. Young gardeners can share pictures of their seedling’s progress on the Bradenton Farmers’ Market Facebook page.
- Composting Worms and Beekeeping: Master Gardeners from the Manatee County Extension Office will explain the big benefits of these small creatures in the life cycle of plants. Beekeeping display provided by Pure Florida Honey.
- Scavenger Hunt: Explore the Bradenton Farmers’ Market to find all the items on the list. Win a prize for completion!
- Grade Level Reading: Visit The Suncoast Campaign for Grade Level Reading’s booth to learn about the power of parents in helping their children become successful readers.
- Math Activities: Join Mathnasium of Bradenton for fun math activities.
- Cooking with Kids: Chef de Cuisine of the University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee, Chef Rovshan Avila, and his two daughters, Nyx and Rayden, will make healthy snacks to sample at 10 a.m.
Patrons are encouraged to bring new and gently used children’s books to be donated to the University of South Florida’s Elementary Education Book Drive for first year teachers.
The fifth annual Children’s Book Fair and Family Fun Day is a partnership with the Bradenton Farmers’ Market, ABC Artisans of Books, and author Brenda Spalding. Grant support by the Manatee Community Foundation.
# # #
About the Bradenton Farmers’ Market
About Realize Bradenton
Realize Bradenton is a nonprofit organization that builds community and promotes economic prosperity. Bringing people together to realize possibilities and transform public places helps shape Bradenton as a city where people want to live, work, play, and contribute. Working with our partners, investors, donors, and volunteers, we build a vibrant, healthy, fun community using arts, culture, heritage, and food. For more information visit: RealizeBradenton.com.