The free event includes book signings with a dozen local children’s book authors, live storytelling, hands-on lessons on how food grows, and other family activities.
BRADENTON, Fla. — The fourth annual Children's Book and Family Fun Day returns to the Bradenton Farmers’ Market, Saturday, April 14, 9 a.m.–2 p.m., on Old Main Street, between Manatee Ave W and 3rd Ave W in downtown Bradenton. The free event features a dozen local children’s authors reading their books at the Imagination Station, hands-on planting a veggie, experimental printing, a scavenger hunt, and more.
Lela Rast Hartsaw, author of "The Adventures of Abigail Rose," about Ida Patten's Antebellum doll as historical fiction, will entertain readers while candidly detailing a brief moment in history at 11 a.m.
"A large part of the market’s mission is to engage families with healthy lifestyle activities and education," says Peg Haynes, the Bradenton Farmers’ Market manager. "We're delighted to combine a book fair for kids with other entertaining family activities, which are a natural match for the market."
- Plant a Veggie: Children can plant summer vegetable seedlings in a colorful pot to take home and grow. Instructions are included. Gardeners can post pictures of their seedling’s progress on the Bradenton Farmers’ Market Facebook page.
- Composting Worms and Beekeeping: Master Gardeners from the Manatee County Extension Office will explain the big benefits of these small creatures in the life cycle of plants.
- Plant Detectives: Test your knowledge of the plants we eat. Examine 24 seeds and read the clues to help you guess who’s who. Challenge your friends and family to become plant detectives by identifying seeds at the UF/IFAS Family Nutrition Program’s booth.
- Experimental Printmaking: Fun, experimental printmaking using fruits, vegetables, Legos, and other objects at the Manatee County Library tent. Also, learn more about upcoming library events, get a library card application, information on downloading e-books, and more.
- Paint your favorite veggie: Kids can choose their favorite fruit or veggie from a display of produce available at the market and paint it on a large canvas.
- Little Library: Find out how little libraries work and where you can find them. Accepting donations of lightly used or new children’s books.
- Scavenger Hunt: Explore the Bradenton Farmers’ Market to find all the items on the list. Win a prize for completion!
The fourth annual Children’s Book Fair and Family Fun Day is a partnership with the Bradenton Farmers’ Market, Manatee County public libraries, and ABC Artisans of Books for Children and Adults. Grant support by the Manatee Community Foundation.
# # #
About the Bradenton Farmers’ Market
The Bradenton Farmers’ Market, a production of Realize Bradenton, features more than 30 vendors who offer locally grown fruits, vegetables, plants, organic products, prepared foods, and the work of local artists and craftspeople. Live music, demonstrations by local chefs, and free family activities are also part of the fun. The market, located on Old Main Street, between Manatee Avenue West and 3rd Avenue West in downtown Bradenton, is open on Saturdays through May, 9 a.m.–2 p.m. Parking is free and dogs on leashes are welcome. For more information, visit: BradentonFarmersMarket.com.
About Realize Bradenton
Realize Bradenton is a nonprofit organization that transforms public places and engages people using arts, culture, heritage, and food to build a vibrant, healthy Bradenton. Bringing people together, our work results in social, physical, and economic revitalization and shapes a community where people want to contribute, live, work, and visit. For more information visit: RealizeBradenton.com.