The free event includes book signings with a dozen local children’s book authors, live storytelling, hands-on lessons on how food grows, and other family activities.
BRADENTON, Fla. — A children's book fair is featured at "Family Fun Day" at the Bradenton Farmers’ Market, Saturday, April 29, 9 a.m.–2 p.m., on Old Main Street, between Manatee Avenue West and 3rd Avenue West in downtown Bradenton. The free event includes a dozen children’s book authors signing their books, live readings of the authors’ books, hands-on activities about how food grows and vegetable gardening, craft making, live painting, a scavenger hunt, and more.
"A large part of the market’s mission is to engage families with healthy lifestyle activities and education," says Peg Haynes, the Bradenton Farmers Market's manager. "We're delighted to combine a book fair for kids with other entertaining family activities, which are a natural match for the market."
The 2016–2017 sponsors of the Bradenton Farmers’ Market are the Bradenton Herald, Spectrum, Downtown Development Authority, Florida Blue, Manatee Community Federal Credit Union, and Mosaic. This event is sponsored by the Manatee Community Foundation.
Scheduled Book Fair Activities
- 9:30–11 a.m., and Noon–12:30 p.m.: Live readings of the authors’ books by the United Way Readers.
- 11am–Noon: Lela Rast Hartsaw, author of "The Adventures of Abigail Rose," about Ida Patten's Antebellum doll as historical fiction, will entertain readers while candidly detailing a brief moment in history.
- Noon–1 p.m.: CapoKids perform “Capoeira Volta Ao Mundo” martial arts to music.
- 12:30–1:30 p.m.: Read2Dogs: children can read our authors’ books to Carson the dog.
- Plants in a Pot: Children can plant summer vegetable seedlings in a colorful pot to take home and grow.
- Composting Worms & Beekeeping: Susan Griffith, Florida-Friendly Landscaping and Community Gardens Coordinator at the Manatee County Extension Office, will explain the big benefits of these small creatures.
- What Veggie/Fruit is it? Learn about fruits and vegetables with Alice Kempa, the Family Nutrition Program Assistant at the Manatee County Extension Office.
- Craft Making and Painting: Create enchanting crafts with librarians from the Manatee County Public Library System, and paint your favorite fruits and vegetables on canvas with artists from the Village of the Arts.
- Scavenger Hunt: Explore the Bradenton Farmers’ Market to find all the items on the list. Win a prize for completion!
# # #
About Realize Bradenton
Realize Bradenton is a nonprofit organization that brings people together to create a vibrant and prosperous Bradenton area. For more information visit: RealizeBradenton.com.
About the Bradenton Farmers’ Market
The Bradenton Farmers’ Market, a production of Realize Bradenton, features more than 30 vendors who offer locally grown fruits, vegetables, plants, organic products, prepared foods, and the work of local artists and craftspeople. Live music, demonstrations by local chefs, and free family activities are also part of the fun. The market, located on Old Main Street, between Manatee Avenue West and 3rd Avenue West in downtown Bradenton, is open on Saturdays through May, 9 a.m.–2 p.m. Parking is free and dogs on leashes are welcome. For more information, visit: BradentonFarmersMarket.com.